airstream living

When we visited Austin for SXSW we decided to do something a little different in terms of lodging. By the time we looked for a place to stay, all the hotels were booked and we had to search for other options. I started perusing Airbnb, looking for anything in town, when I came across this airstream. Just looking at the photos, I was sold.

It was remodeled on the inside in a modest modern style. There was a small kitchen and a desk in the front, while the bed was tucked away cozily in the back. It was a really nice place to spend the rainy mornings of our trip.

While it isn’t someplace I’d want to live, it inspired both Shawn and I for a potential office space, or maybe a guest room. We absolutely spent a few hours researching vintage airstreams to put in the backyard of our future fantasy home.

Would you ever put an airstream in your driveway or backyard even?

11 Responses to “airstream living”
  1. katie says:

oh my god, i would totally put an airstream in my backyard. i’ve had the same thought about using it as an office/studio place. now that i know there’s a possibility that there are others out there to be rented, i’m ecstatic. i’ve loved them for a long time, but my fiancee’s a little on the fence about the whole thing. i’m going airstream scoping now!

2. Krista F says:

LOVE this!!! If I am ever in Austin I will HAVE to check this out- great post!

3. Sharon says:

I don’t know that I’d want to live in one long term, but staying in one for a while sounds awesome! I’m planning a trip to Hicksville where they have groovy custom airstreams and themed trailers set up to stay in, though I’m pretty sure I will need to stay in the Lux Interior/ Cramps themed one when I finally go:

4. Meghan K says:

I would definitely live in in one. No question. I’d do it tomorrow honestly if there was anyplace to park it in Santa Monica.

5. so funny – the only airstream i’ve ever been in was in austin too:

• miss alix says:

yes it seems that Austin does love their airstreams.

on the side of possible coincidences, i see from that post that you’re in Surrogate Valentine / Daylight Savings. such a small world as I am friends with Mike Lerman. fun stuff.

6. Lauren says:

Some friends of mine drove all the way to Arkansas (from N. Las Vegas) last year for a great deal on an airstream. They need to remodel it on the inside, but it should be super cool once they get going. I lived in bachelor apt when I first moved to LA, so I could probably live in one….I do have to say though, I live in a place now that has more than one room and I likes it! Oh the joys of big city livin. 😉

7. That is the coolest RV ever! It looks like the inside is pretty nice too with the remodel.
    If I had a driveway that was big enough to park it in, I would love to have one of these. I’m already fantasizing about all the road trips we would take.

8. Serena says:

Abso-freaking-lutely! I’ve joked about parking one in my apartment complex’s parking garage as a spare bedroom for guests.

Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] of April, I’m starting new, with new goals and new aspirations. March was exciting with our trip to Austin, and our fabulous Mad Men party, but on a more personal level, it was an introspective […]